Do you ever wonder, “What luxury cars use regular gas?” Perhaps a more appropriate question is whether it’s possible and, if it is, is it as safe as premium fuel? Reading this article may help answer them.
What Luxury Cars Use Regular Gas? | Check the List
Premium Gas VS Regular Gasoline
Why does the question “What luxury cars use regular gas?” matter? If you’ve used a premium fuel VS regular fuel cost calculator, you know the cost differential adds up.
Using regular gas instead of premium gasoline is ideal in terms of money. But if you put it in the wrong vehicle, you’ll soon regret it.
When you’re standing at a non-diesel fuel pump, you’ll notice a range of numbers. They usually run from 87 to 91. Regular gas is 87 while Premium is 91. These numbers refer to their octane rating. High-performance engines require a high-octane gas to operate properly.
If you put regular gas in a car that requires premium, it won’t run well. The first thing you’ll probably notice is a knocking sound. This happens because the lower-grade fuel caused improper detonation during the combustion phase of air and fuel. If you continue using the lower-grade fuel, you can damage your emissions and engine systems. Fixing these will not be easy on the pockets because using the wrong fuel voids most warranties.
So, why do some luxury cars run on regular gas? These automobiles boast luxury features, but the actual engines aren’t the highest-performing types.
What About Those “in Between” Numbers?
If your manual specifies premium gas, you’ll need to use the highest number. If it calls for regular, the choice is up to you. The “plus” gas options (often 88-90) may help a regular-gas vehicle operate with a bit more power.
Why do the higher-octane fuels cost so much more than regular? The refining process becomes more involved as the octane level rises. The parts used and time involved make it more expensive to refine.
That means customers pay as much as 50 cents more per gallon for premium, which adds up quickly for a full tank. The mid-grade gas types have prices falling between regular and premium.
Does Your Favorite Take Regular?
Below are some luxury cars most frequently asked about:
- Does Lexus IS 250 Require Premium Gas? Not currently in production, the IS 250 is much in demand in the used luxury car market. This luxury sedan requires premium gas and has a 2.5-liter V6 engine.
- Does Lexus RX 350 Require Premium Gas? The newer RX 350 models all take regular gas. They have 3.5-liter V6 engines. Lexus designed this car to run well on 87-octane. Keep in mind if you buy an older RX 350, it may require premium. Those made in 2011 and earlier will probably need 91-octane but check the manual. One caveat: If you purchase the hybrid version of the Lexus RX 350, it needs premium gas.
- Does Acura Require Premium Gas? According to a list compiled by BestRide.com, there are no Acura models that require premium gas. The official Acura website does recommend 91-octane fuel, but it isn’t required for Acura models to run properly.
- Does the Infiniti qx50 Require Premium Gas? Infiniti lists its QX50 as “recommending” premium gas. It does not actually state the luxury car requires 91-octane, however. The engine is a 3.7-liter V6.
- Does Ford Edge Require Premium Fuel? Considered a crossover SUV, the Ford Edge boasts upscale looks. As with other Ford SUVs, though, the company recommends you use Regular gas. The Ford Edge comes in three different engine sizes.
What Other Luxury Cars Run on Regular?
If you’re determined to find a luxury car that runs on 87-octane, you have a range of choices. Some may change gas requirements from year to year. Among those which were made to use regular unleaded for at least one year of their production are the following:
- Lincoln MKS
- Cadillac ATS
- Cadillac CTS
- Infiniti M37
- Buick Lacrosse
- Hyundai Equus
Yes, there are luxury SUVs that run on regular gas! Check out the Volvo C90, along with the Ford Edge. The Volvo model is one of those vehicles for which the manufacturer recommends premium, but it won’t be damaged on regular.
One of the popular luxury cars that must run on premium is Lexus IS 250. Learn more about the vehicle’s performance and features in this video by Engineering Explained:
It’s understandable if premium VS regular gas prices are important considerations, but it pays to do your research on what luxury cars use regular gas. The number of luxury SUVs that run on regular gas may also surprise you. In fact, your dream vehicle may be on one of those lists!
Which of the luxury cars that run on regular is your favorite? Let us know what you think in the comments below!